A place where Minnesota's design community can blow its collective mind about creative expression in every medium from websites to landscapes, chocolate to bicycles.

Things Are Looking Up

Posted: November 6th, 2009 | Author: Todd | Filed under: artifacts, design, posters | Tags: , , | 8 Comments »

poster-iya09-01

There’s something special about a great poster. It’s not exactly an illustration and yet it isn’t exactly a design either. Brilliant posters are a magical kind of hybrid that appeals to a wide swath of humanity. The truly brilliant ones communicate their intent even when the words on them are in a language that is foreign. So it is with a new series of posters that Simon Page designed for the simple pleasure of it. He chose the International Year of Astronomy (2009) as a foil for exploring his passion for geometric design and came up with eight posters reminiscent of the space race of the 60′s that none the less feel really fresh. My favorite part of the story is that response to his designs has been so overwhelmingly positive and so wide spread that representatives from the IYA2009 actually contacted him and the posters are in production now. Tell me that isn’t what you dream about happening to one of your side projects. Nice work Simon, kudos to the IYA2009 for recognizing a good thing and acting on it and thanks to my bro the indefatigable supplier of interesting links, coder-surfer-man-about-town and self-styled Emperor of the Universe for bringing them to my attention.

poster-iya09-02

poster-iya09-03

8 Comments on “Things Are Looking Up”

1. 1 cindy said at 10:44 am on November 6th, 2009:

wow. love these. amazing. thanks for sharing!!

2. 2 jzerger said at 12:27 pm on November 6th, 2009:

Geez, how’s about a hat tip for the trouble?! Glad you posted the orange planets with orbits on blue, that’s my favorite. His site says leave a comment if you want to be notified when prints are available.

3. 3 Todd Zerger said at 12:51 pm on November 6th, 2009:

Good points. I commented on Simon’s site and look forward to finding out when prints are available. I also updated the post with the tip of the hat I should have doffed originally. Good catch. You are my new best friend.

Of course you were already my old best friend. How ’bout I buy you a cocoa.

4. 4 jzerger said at 2:15 pm on November 6th, 2009:

Too kind, too kind… but I’ll take you up on that cocoa ;)

5. 5 cindy said at 7:46 pm on November 12th, 2009:

hey how come I don’t get props when tips given? ;)

6. 6 Todd Zerger said at 9:28 am on November 13th, 2009:

Yours get delivered in person.

7. 7 cindy said at 5:19 pm on November 13th, 2009:

cheeky.

8. 8 blog.brainstormoverload » Oh Hang Astronomy said at 9:58 am on November 19th, 2009:

[...] on inPRNT – in two sizes no less. Spruce up your crib by ordering two and shipping is free. Original post. Subscribe to comments Comment | Trackback | Post Tags: [...]